Trust & Safety
Stay safe from fake apps!
In today’s connected world, our mobile phone is the device of choice for storing all personal and valuable information safely. However, hackers and fraudsters are constantly on the lookout for new ways to breach the security of our personal devices.
Find out more about cyber attacks and how you can stay safe.
According to some recent cyber-threat updates, hackers are using Virus/Trojans in the form of fake apps to gain control of your mobile phone and misuse sensitive information for malicious purposes.
These Virus/Trojans masquerade as legitimate photo editing, text editing, payment, banking & gaming apps.
Once installed, hackers use these infected apps to operate several functions on your phone without your knowledge. They can get access to the internet, change system alerts, install additional packages, auto-initiate upon reboot, view contacts, media files, take pictures, detect your present location, read lock screen codes, app PINs & SMSes with OTP details.
Remember these tips to keep your device and data safe!
- Do not download or install apps from untrusted sources. Install apps downloaded from trusted sources such as the Google Play Store & App Store.
- Verify app permissions and grant only those permissions which have relevant context for the app’s purpose.
- Remember to disable the installation of apps from “untrusted sources” in your phone settings.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi networks and switch off your Wi-Fi connection when not required. There may be rogue Wi-Fi access points at public places used for distributing infected apps.
- Consider installing security software from a reputable provider & update them regularly.
- If you need to download an app, look for reviews to make sure that the app is safe to install.
- Do not click on links in text messages or download zipped files attached in emailers from unknown resources.
- Close webpages trying to download files on your browser immediately.